Error building help file

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Mar 20, 2007 at 8:43 AM
I get the following error building a rather large helpfile:

BUILD FAILED: Error removing private framework fields: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:41 PM
If you can e-mail me the content of the .\Working folder, I can diagnose the problem. You can leave out the assemblies if you don't want to send them to me. My e-mail address is in the About box and in the footer of the pages in the help file.

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:25 PM
I'm having the same issue with a fairly small solution. Was wondering if this was already resolved or not. I can send my .\Working folder if you still need one. It happens when I set DocumentPrivates=true, DocumentPrivateFields=false. For the meantime I'm just leaving private fields in! :) All in all, great tool!

"Applying visibility properties to reflection information file
10 private fields noted for removal
Last step completed in 00:00:00.0000

BUILD FAILED: Error removing private framework fields: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
Mar 30, 2007 at 3:02 PM
I don't recall getting a test case for this. If you can send me one, I'll take a look at it.

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:12 PM
Just sent one... hope it helps!
Apr 10, 2007 at 7:12 PM
I found the problem and have fixed it. It will be available in the next release.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:37 AM
Hi, I've been getting this kind of build failure too. Has a date been set for the next release?
Apr 30, 2007 at 10:15 PM
Within a week after the next Sandcastle CTP, whenever that occurs.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:16 AM
I also have this problem. It occurs when DocumentPrivates is set to true. I am using SHFB V1.4.0.1 - as far as I am aware this is the latest as I only downloaded it a few days ago.
Interestingly the problem does not occur when DocumentInternals is set to true - however this does raise a whole load more warnings. I am using a test solution which consists of nothing more than a standard Windows application (as generated by VS2005) with some dummy methods added, and <see> references made to the dummy methods. With DocumentPrivates and DocumentInternals set to False any reference to a private or internal method from the summary documentation of a public one predictably raises warnings. However, when DocumentInternals is set to true all sorts of strange warnings are raised on items which are not referenced in my code at all, eg:
The reference link target 'F:System.MarshalByRefObject.__identity' is unknown.
The reference link target 'M:System.MarshalByRefObject.__RaceSetServerIdentity(System.Runtime.Remoting.ServerIdentity)' is unknown.
and many more.
As stated, setting DocumentPrivates to true causes the build to fail completely with the error described in the previous posts.
I hope you can shed some light on this. I can provide examples if required.
Jun 6, 2007 at 3:00 PM
As noted, the problem reported in the original post has been fixed. It will be in the next release due out after the next Sandcastle CTP. The next CTP is due shortly although I haven't seen a firm date yet. The other warnings about unknown reference links and creating them are normal.

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:07 AM
Thanks for that. Is there any way one can arrange to be notified of new Sandcastle CTP releases?

>>The other warnings about unknown reference links and creating them are normal.<<
I'm not clear what you mean by "normal" - how do I go about resolving a warning such as "The reference link target 'M:System.MarshalByRefObject.__RaceSetServerIdentity(System.Runtime.Remoting.ServerIdentity)' is unknown."? It is not something I've referenced in my documentation.
Jun 7, 2007 at 3:07 PM
Check every so often for new announcements about Sandcastle. Check the Releases page here to watch for new help file builder releases. There are RSS feeds for both.

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:01 PM
Thanks for that.
I'm still puzzled about these "normal" warnings telling me that I have unknown reference link targets to strange items such as System.MarshalByRefObject.__RaceSetServerIdentity(System.Runtime.Remoting.ServerIdentity). How do I resolve these?
Jun 7, 2007 at 7:06 PM
As far as I know there isn't anything to do about them. If you look at the log, there's usually a message after that that it created the ID using something else so I think it all works out in the end. So far, I haven't seen any broken links related to these items in the help files produced.