SandcastleBuilder.Components.ShowMissingComponent error

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Mar 17, 2007 at 3:50 PM
Hi All,

I seem to get the error:

Error: BuildAssembler: The type 'SandcastleBuilder.Components.ShowMissingComponent' was not found in the component assembly 'C:\Program Files (x86)\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\SandcastleBuilder.Components.dll'.

When trying to build a (new) help project with the latest versions of SHFB/Sandcastle (march 2007) - has anyone else run into this and found a solution so far?
Mar 17, 2007 at 5:25 PM
I also have this problem. It seems common and is being handled. See Anands reply at
Mar 17, 2007 at 8:18 PM
It works fine with the exception of a warning about needing to update it. If it's not finding the ShowMissingComponent, you've probably got an older version of the assembly hanging around. Uninstall it and see if the indicated installation folder still exists. If it does, delete it manually. Reinstall the help file builder and everything should work okay. I'll release an update on Monday that gets rid of the warning.

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:17 PM
Hi Eric.

Thanks for the reply - I've uninstalled both sandcastle and the builder, with no joy, however, I have not had the opportunity to try a reboot yet - I'll do this shortly and if successful, post, so that anyone else affected knows to reboot after uninstalling an older version!

It probably IS a problem of this ilk, as a quick poke-around in the components DLL with Lutz's Reflector clearly shows that ShowMIssingComponent is there! Will try shortly.

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:45 AM
I am receiving the same error (SandcastleBuilder.Components.ShowMissingComponenet was not found...) after installing the March CTP Technical Refresh. However, this error does not occur when compiling 1.4.0 sources and running the GUI in the debugger.

Hope this helps,
Mar 18, 2007 at 7:36 AM
ShowMissingComponent is not found in SandcastleBuilder.Components.dll because the assembly references BuildAssemblerLibrary 2.2.63000.0. The Technical Refresh has BuildAssemblerLibrary 2.2.63000.2.
Mar 18, 2007 at 10:29 AM
Spot on - many thanks to JohnCannata + afmiller - I grabbed the source, updated the reference to BuildAssemblerLibrary to the version in the TR, built and installed. Now up and running, and working perfectly. :)
Mar 19, 2007 at 5:58 PM
FYI: I also get this error. I've uninstalled both Sandcastle and SandcastleHFB, deleted both folders, rebooted and re-installed. The reboot did not seem to help. :( Incidentally, this only happens on my Home PC, and not my work PC. Strange.
Mar 19, 2007 at 6:44 PM
A new release will be out later today that supports the March 2007 CTP Refresh.