Is it possible to include document sections

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:06 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2010 at 7:37 PM

is it possible to include documentation fragments in for example developerConceptualDocument like we do it with code element?

What I would like to do is to have something like 

<include file="somedoc.aml or topic id" address="SectionAddressForExample"/>

I found the element

<sharedContentBlock xlink:href="??"/>

but could not found any information about how to use it and what is it for.

Sorry: just found documentation about the <token/> element and tokens file. That does what I need. However the Sandcastle documentation does not really have a "red" line.

It is not quite easy to get into it if you never had to deal with documentation.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:43 PM

You can use a token element to achieve the same result.  Tokens contain common text and other elements that you want to use in various places.  For example:  <token>BoilerPlateText</token>.  At build time, the "BoilerPlateText" token is replaced with the token's content.  See the Token Files help topic for more information.  There is no support within the Sandcastle transformations nor any current build components that utilize the sharedContentBlock element that I can find.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Thanks Eric for the quick response.

I came across the sharedContentBlock after I coppied Sandcastle XSDs for the intelliSense in VS.

By the way the XSDs do not represent exactly what the XSLTs support. For example the code element supports title attribute but this attribute is not defined in XSD.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:51 AM

There are a number of custom attributes added to the tags by the Sandcastle Styles patch and some like the title attribute are supported by the custom build components.  They haven't been added to the MAML schema files but probaly should be at some point though they aren't part of the official MAML schema.