Missing the obvious - index.htm?

Topics: User Forum
Mar 7, 2007 at 11:11 PM
Edited Mar 7, 2007 at 11:44 PM
I'd like to be able to publish the intermediate HTML files to a public server, but I can't seem to find a master index.htm file. I do end up with a properly compiled chm and a sea of .htm files in the HTML folder, but nothing looking like a root file.

I'm building the help using a derivative of the NANT script posted here: http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/ccnetsandcastle.asp

What'm I missing?
Mar 8, 2007 at 1:24 AM
If you're not using the help file builder to build the website output, then there isn't an index.htm. The help file builder isn't Sandcastle, it's a front end for it that provides a GUI to manage and build the project and a command line version that can also build the project.

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:29 PM
Edited Mar 8, 2007 at 7:33 PM
Thanks! I've been playing with that a bit - It seems a bit redundant to go through the entire generation process twice - Is there a way to leverage the intermediate files generated in a scripted Sandcastle process?

Actually, I guess the better question is - Is there a way to generate an HTML site using the scripted process above?
Mar 9, 2007 at 1:37 AM
I don't know what you're asking and I'm not familiar with the script in question. The help file builder generates a web site for you if you select WebSite or one of the combination types that includes it for the help format. Copy the content of the output folder to the server after the help file builder is done and the site is finished. Just load Index.html to view it.

If you're trying to build the project in an automated fashion, use the command line builder (SandcastleBuilderConsole.exe). It can be found in the same folder as the GUI app. You should be able to integrate it into any build process that can call a command line executable. There's a section in the help file that describes its use.

Mar 29, 2007 at 8:36 PM
I was building things by hand without using SHFB and wasn't quite aware of the distinction between SHFB and the Sandcastle core files (and also didn't see the multiple output format choices in SHFB). I've since moved to using the SandlecastleBuilderConsole.exe exclusively and am generating both HTML and CHM with much less overhead.

Thanks for the guidance!