Exclude setup projects.

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Dec 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Hello everybody!

I have a big solution (about 70 projects) and there is also several setup projects. So if I build the whole solution it throws: Error BE0065: BUILD FAILED: Object reference not set to an instance of an object . When I've removed all setup projects from solution it biulds great. So the question is if it  possible to point to SHFB in msbuild project file to ignore setup projects in solution file? I don't want to support second solution without setup projects.

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Dec 25, 2009 at 6:13 PM

The SHFB solution file contains a setup project (.vdproj) and I'm not seeing this problem when I build the help file for it.  Typically, these are ignored since they use a different project type GUID than projects like those for a C# or VB.NET assembly.  There may be something unique about your solutions and project files.  Would it be possible for you to e-mail me the SHFB project file along with the Visual Studio solution and project files that it references?  I just need the project files, not the source code or assemblies etc.  I just need enough to get to the point where its failing while parsing the projects.  My e-mail address is in the About Box in the GUI and in the footer of the pages in the help file.

Eric

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Hello Eric!

First of all I would like to thank you for  your good and very useful program, and also thanks for reply.

There are still exists several problems: in our solution  we've got  several setup wrappers, which are empty projects (they  have  nothing and they produce nothing), they are used to prevent setup building on developers machine and they are building on source code repository. So, when I start SHFB with whole solution,  it throws exception,  that there is project file (setup wrapper), but there is no assembly(msi file).  When I removed wrappers (and now I get solution with normal setup projects) it throws me  Error BE0065 (see above). So as you can understand I still need some mechanism to filter my solution and exclude setup files. I hope I can send you my solution file along with SHFB project.

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Dec 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM

If you can come up with a smaller test case that demonstrates the problem that's easier for you to send rather than sending all your projects, that would be fine too.

Eric

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Hello Eric!

I've found a problem - I just missed another setupwrapper project, so for now it is building ok with all setup project.

But I still need some way to point (filter)  for what projects documentation should be build and for what shouldn't.

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2009 at 4:16 PM

You can use the project's ApiFilter to exclude the stuff you don't want.

Eric