WYSIWYG MAML and HTML

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Hi Eric;

Im just wondering if there are any plans for a WYSIWYG HTML and (especially) MAML editor being incorporated at some point?  Am i right that there was previously a WYSIWYG HTML editor in the 1.2 code base? These would sure make life a lot easier.

I'm aware that Dave Sexton developed some early WYSIWYG MAML alpha code over a year ago, however he seems to busy to be able to complete.  There has been a lot of discussuion regarding a WYSIWYG MAML editor, yet it does not appear that there are currently any such beasts out there.  I recon this would be a huge + for SHFB.  A WYSIWYG XML Addin for VS would also be a bonus.

Kindest Regards

Dave

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2009 at 9:37 PM

There isn't a WYSIWYG editor in SHFB.  You can preview the topics by hitting F5 or selecting Window | Preview Topic while editing a topic file.  This does a quick build of just the MAML and HTML topics so that you can check them while editing.  While not as good as WYSIWYG, it gets the job done for the time being.  After the next release of SHFB, my goal is to work on a VSPackage that would integrate the SHFB tools with the project system in Visual Studio.  That would let you take advantage of all the existing file editors within Visual Studio.  If Dave releases his MAML editor as a standalone add-in for general use, the SHFB package could make use of it too.  If not, then I'd look into adding one.  At least for the initial release, it would just make use of the existing XML editor which would at least add schema Intellisense support by default for editing the topics.

Eric

May 23, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Hi. This answer dates back to Dec/2009. Any progress on a possible WYSIWYG editor for MAML? Thanks!
Coordinator
May 23, 2014 at 8:32 PM
No, and it's not a task I plan on tackling any time soon if at all. Dave appears to have abandoned development on DocProject and the MAML editor he was working on. The source code for the editor under development was never released.

Eric