Extension methods are not documented well

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Nov 17, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I have build help web site (with SHFB) and I have include Extension methods (I've add Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ExtensionMethodAddIn).

I have notice 2 problems:

1. All elements (property and methods) are documented as private (they should be documented as public; I have event set DocumentPrivates to false).

2. There's missing a link to ICollection<T>.IsReadOnly property (in documentation that describes some class that inherits ObservableCollection<T> class).

You can see image that describes these problems on: http://www.gemboxsoftware.com/posts/SandcastleError.jpg

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Explicit interface implementations are private so the documentation is correct.  They aren't public members of your class, you must cast an instance of your class to the interface to access them.  The IsReadOnly member property does exist but most likely the MSDN web service used to document the inherited members failed to find it.  This happens for several inherited members, usually in the String class, but it does happen to other inherited members in other classes too.  Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do about that problem.