Duplicate field names are indistinguishable in index

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Oct 15, 2009 at 8:12 AM

When I build documentation files using Sandcastle the fields/methods/properties which occur in more than one class is indistinguishable from each other in the index. The same problem occurs in the CHM file, but I guess that is simple because the CHM is generated using the HTML files.

Is there any way to fix this (maybe som obvious setting that I have missed), or is it simply "by design"?
Here's an example:

If I have 3 classes e.g. Company, Person and Member, and they all have the property "Name" it will be listed in the index as:

Name field
Name field
Name field

To find the right one you will have to click them one by one until you find the one you where looking for. In the CHM the namespace is also listed, but quite often all three classes will be in the same namespace.

I can see that this is also the case in the CHM for the Sandcastle GUI itself, but I thought I'd check with the experts in here just to be sure :-)

Best regards,
Torben Rohde,

(this is a duplicate of http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/devdocs/thread/d579d349-83f2-4167-8dce-2c7257576f9b/ - no one had suggestions there)

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:05 PM

I believe that's just the way the Sandcastle transformations write out the index keywords.  I'm not sure what else it might affect if you changed it to write out the fully qualified name.  You could give it a try and see what happens.