Problem with Index and Search

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if one had to do anything special to generate the web page with the index and search page. The reason I ask is because the buttons are completely missing from the table of contents panel in the web site I create, but in the http://www.ewoodruff.us/shfbdocs/ the index and search link are clearly visible in the table of contents panel on the left. I've looked for any documentation on the search feature but haven't managed to turn up much. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2009 at 4:14 PM

One known issue is that certain zoom levels in the browser can cause it to misalign the content panes.  If you are using a different zoom level, try resetting it to 100% to see if everything shows up.  Also, there are two index pages: Index.aspx which contains the links and Index.html which does not (it doesn't support them).  If your server is set up to use Index.html as the default page when not specified, you won't see the links.  Try going to Index.aspx explicitly and see if that works.  If so, you may just need to adjust the server settings to make it use the .aspx page instead.

Eric

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

I used the ASPX pages for index and search but later it was decided that the final environment where the documentation was to be deployed will not support ASPX. I implemented the index browser in Javascript using AJAX to load the XML file with the index and generate the HTML elements dynamically. The ASPX approach built-in to SHFB is faster, however. Doing the same with the search would be probably too slow because the full-text index is bigger. Luckily, if you deploy the documentation on a company server with a decent infrastructure, you may want to integrate it with the full-text search available there. That is what I did - I rewrote the search pane to do a restricted search query executed by our intranet server-wide search engine. To mae the search convenient, you will probably need some support for displaying the left pane with the table of contents if the hit list contains direct URLs to the Sandcastle pages. I applied a little of Javasrcipt magic (on every generated page by an SHFB plugin) to redirect the page to the index with a parameter to navigate to the specific content page.

--- Ferda

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:12 AM

@EWoodruff Thanks for the help. It was the problem with Index.html being chosen as the default over Index.aspx so thank you kindly, both for the help and the great project.

@prantlf thanks for the tip, regarding using a proper full-text search server. I may very well try that at a later date when I have more time (our intranet search is a bit of a fragmented mess at the moment).

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Hi E veryone!

Could anyone help with the following issue? how can one create the index in the conceptual help, i.e. with no API references? 

Thanks for help in advance!!

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2009 at 4:09 PM

See my reply to your other related post: http://shfb.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=19120

Eric