Sandcastle Topic Grouping

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 27, 2009 at 9:57 PM

We're using Sandcastle to generate our source code documentation with our build process. This is working great for creating API level doc for classes, methods, properties, etc. Additionally, Sandcastle allows you to add summaries to your namespaces as well as "Conceptual Content". We're creating Conceptual Content files for various "How To" topics like as well as architecture diagrams, etc. All this is working great.

Does anyone know if there's a way in Sandcastle to group this content? By default, Sandcastle seems to create all of this API documentation at the root of the help tree as well as any Conceptual Content. I would like to have a node in the tree like "API Documentation" and have all of the source code doc under that node, and then have other groupings of the other doc topics we have. I'm struggling to find a way to do this in Sandcastle. I've seen other commercial products have this type of grouping in their chm files, but I suspect they're using something like RoboHelp.

Is there a way to achieve this with Sandcastle?

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:41 AM

You can set the RootNamespaceContainer property to True to group the API content into a "Namespaces" container node in the TOC.  You can use the RootNamespaceTitle property to give it a different title such as "API Documentation".  You can use the Hierarchical Table of Contents plug-in to rearrange the table of contents such that namespaces are nested within their parent namespaces rather than appearing as a flat list of all namespaces at the root level.  Use the PlugInConfigurations project property to add it to the project.  See the plug-in's help topic for more info.  If you need more complex grouping options, you could use the current plug-in as a starting point and extend it to support your needs.  The code for it is available in the code download.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:07 AM

awesome - this is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you for the reply