Integrated Help 2.x content not listed in table of contents

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I have some component documentation I've generated using SHFB. I need to integrate this help into the Visual Studio help namespace, so that a developer has access to it while coding.

Assume I can't use h2reg, also assume I couldn't get this technique ( to work as well.

So, I am using the Help Integration Wizard project template, which finally DID work. The problem is that the content shows up in the index, is searchable, and shows up in the Dynamic Help within Visual Studio 2005, but my table of contents does not show up. I'm out of ideas.... any thoughts??

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:17 PM

For filtering to work properly, you need to go into the SHFB project's HelpAttributes property and click the Default button so that it adds the necessary attributes to support it.  I'm not sure if that affects the table of content though.  You may get a better response by posting in the Developer Documentation and Help forum.

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Whoa - a response from the master himself!! I've gotten pretty intimately familiar with XML code comments and your SHFB product over the past 6 months or so, and you've done a great job, by the way. You single handedly brought Sandcastle to the masses, in my opinion. So thanks for putting together this project!!

Anyhow - as to my issue, i do have 3 attributes already (and these stay the same if I click Default):

DocSet {@HtmlHelpName}
  DocSet NetFramework
  TargetOS Windows

I wonder what else I might need? i will post over on that other discussion board. Thanks again!

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:22 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I recommend to use h2reg. We found this much easier than the help integration wizard. It is well documented and easy to use with a custom action in a windows installer. Also, if the help installation fails for some reason (the help engine has bugs or a doc window is open), it is easy to explain to users how to correct the problem by running h2reg on the command line.

P.S.: sorry I did not see your comment about h2reg. Well my experience is noted anyway.

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Understood - thanks. It just takes a few months to get something approved for internal use here, and my deadlines are much closer than that. I may consider it for future releases, although I don't like how it's a command-line app, not an Installer class, and how it still uses an .ini file, etc. That erodes my confidence that this is a solid product on which I can rely. but then again, there are zillions of references to it on the web, so they must be doing something right.

Anyhow - thanks for your thoughts!