Conceptual Topics appearing twice in TOC

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 9, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I am using html files to build my conceptual content (I know this is not recommended, but I found it the easiest to get going with).  I added a Content Layout and built the TOC I wanted by point to the HTML files.  Everything works great.  However, in the generated help file I am getting individual items for all of the html files in addition to the items that correspond to the layout defined in the Content Layout file.  So, now I essentially have my desired structure and then 15 individual nodes for each of the content files that I added to Content Layout file.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2009 at 4:03 PM

By default, HTML files are added with a Content build action which causes them to get added to the build output and, since it has a .htm/.html extension, the table of contents.  Edit each HTML file's properties in the Project Explorer window and set the BuildAction to None so that it isn't included as content.  That way, it will only get pulled in via the content layout file and will only appear once in the table of contents.

Eric

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Thanks.  Exactly what I needed.  I had been trying to use Exclude from TOC to no avail.  But, your approach worked perfectly.

Great job with this tool.  Saved me tons of time, and does exactly what I need. 

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2009 at 3:17 AM

I'd forgotten about that property.  It should have worked too.  It probably didn't get implemented so I'll have to look into it.  It's mainly there for backward compatibility to allow the older method of file-based additional content layout to work.  Content layout and site map files are the preferred method now.

Eric