"New Item" Contains Nothing After Help File Builder Installation

Topics: User Forum
Jun 16, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I have installed Help File builder. If I select project, right click, and click "Add New Item" menu item to bring dialog box with possible item types to install, I get nothing in the dialog. Visual studio complains and says to inspect application event log. Here is information in application event log:

The global template information is out of date. Regenerate the templates by running 'devenv.exe /installvstemplates' or reinstalling the application. Note: corrective action requires Administrator privileges.

The global template information is out of date. Regenerate the templates by running 'devenv.exe /installvstemplates' or reinstalling the application. Note: corrective action requires Administrator privileges.

Error in Template (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Windows\1033\WPFApplication.zip), file (csWPFApplication.vstemplate). Unknown element (EnableEditOfLocationField). Parsing will attempt to recover.

Error in Template (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Windows\1033\WPFCustomControl.zip), file (csWPFCustomControl.vstemplate). Unknown element (EnableEditOfLocationField). Parsing will attempt to recover.

Error in Template (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Windows\1033\WPFControlLibrary.zip), file (csWPFControlLibrary.vstemplate). Unknown element (EnableEditOfLocationField). Parsing will attempt to recover.

Coordinator
Jun 16, 2009 at 4:12 PM

SHFB isn't integrated with Visual Studio yet and is still a standalone application.  You can't open SHFB projects with Visual Studio and none of your error message appear to be related to SHFB.  Are you sure this is related to SHFB and not an add-in or other tool for Visual Studio?

Eric

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:23 PM

In the past 2 days I've installed Sandcastle, Sendcastle Help File Builder and  DocProject (http://docproject.codeplex.com/)

I guess one of the other two may be a reason for the problem.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I have uninstalled: SandCastle, Sendcastle Help File Builder (DocProject was already uninstalled). The problem went away. I then Installed Visual Studio 2008 SDK Version 1.0, sendcastle and help file builder. I no longer see the problem.

I am happy to forget about the issue.