Mystified by how to do additional content

Topics: Developer Forum
May 22, 2009 at 5:49 PM

My apologies for this noob question, but can someone give a push in the right direction on adding additional content?  I am new to Sandcastle Help File Builder (love it so far!) and have created a project and successfully documented my assembly. Now would like to add some overview/how-to info. 

I found "Conceptual and Additional Content" in the help file, but when I got to the "Content Layout File Editor" page, I'm stumped because I do not see how to open the editor; double clicking in the project explorer window does nothing, and I see no "open" option if I right click on anywhere in the project explorer. I've looked everywhere in the UI and I can't see anything that looks like the image shown on that page.

Clearly, I'm missing something here.  I think that if someone could just give me a push in the right direction on how to add additional content that says, "hello world", I'd be off and running.

May 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Add a Content Layout file to the project.  Double click it to open it and you'll see the content layout editor.  For general information about adding files to the project, file types, and build actions, see the topics under the Project Explorer Window topic (

Refer to the Content Layout editor help topic for information on how to add and manage topics (  For information about the various file types, see the Conceptual Content Files section of the Conceptual Content topic ( 

If you are new to MAML, download the MAML Guide from the Sandcastle Styles project (

May 22, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Beautiful, thank you!  I was able to create a "welcome" page and I'm off to the races.  This is the greatest tool, it's really going to complete my class library and make it look professional.  Thanks so much for all your work on it!