Adding time stamps

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Would it be possible to add a time stamp on when the page is last modified automatically in shfb when the page is saved?
Oct 20, 2014 at 9:58 PM
You can add the {@BuildDate} replacement tag in the footer text property. It also supports a format. For example {@BuildDate:MMMM d, yyyy a\t hh:mm tt}.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Thanks! However, I am hoping to add a time stamp on the page based on the last date the page is modified. Would it be possible?
Oct 21, 2014 at 2:58 PM
There's no way to tell automatically from build to build what changed and what didn't. You'd have to add a custom XML comments and/or MAML element to specify the date the member/topic was last modified. Although, if you're doing that, adding a simple paragraph would achieve the same effect with less effort since you'd have to maintain the value of the element anyway.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Edited Oct 21, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Thanks Eric! Right, more specifically I was hoping that there is a way to grab the last modified time stamp of the file modified and populate that on the footer. I could write a script that automatically populates the value for the custom MAML element. I haven't been able to find a reference page on how to add custom MAML elements, I wonder if you would point me to page that describes how I may accomplish this? Thanks!
Oct 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM
The footer content is fixed and is controlled by the FooterText project property and a few resource items. To customize how the text is formatted or to add additional items to it you'd have to make more extensive changes to the presentation style. I haven't created any documentation on the inner workings of the presentation styles yet. For the most part it's a matter of poking around in the XSL transformations to find the parts you want to change. There's more to it in this case as you'd probably have to create a plug-in to update the metadata file related to each MAML topic in the working folder to add a "last modified" entry that could be passed into the XSL transformations and used there.