Upgrading from version to

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Hi, I'm trying to upgrade our sandcastle version as the title describes; the documentation sates that there should be good compatibility between the 2 as long as you're ahead of version This is stated here:

"If you are coming to the latest version from version or earlier be sure to read the Version (Alpha), Version (Beta 1), Version (Beta 2), and Version release notes as a significant number of changes occurred to the project file format and the standalone GUI across those releases. Any existing projects will need to be converted to the new project file format before they can be used with the new version."

However, after upgrading my builds are continuously failing. Why could this be?

The builds are done using command line. Builds done manually work fine.

Any help on this issue would be very much appreciated, thank you.
Sep 16, 2014 at 3:10 PM
No, it says if you're upgrading from or earlier you'll need to convert your project, it doesn't say anything about compatibility from that point forward. Minor changes are handled and properties converted when the project is opened if necessary. However, breaking changes do happen so read the release notes from the version just after the one you were on to the latest release to see what breaking changes occurred.

You didn't list the error you got but it can give you information about what failed. More likely than not you just need to delete, re-add, and configure any build components and plug-ins that are in the project. If you have created your own build components and plug-ins you will need to update and rebuild them so that they are compatible with the latest release. See the release notes and updated build component and plug-in topics for details. Presentation styles have undergone a significant update as well and are now components. If you've created your own presentation style or cloned one of the older ones, see the presentation styles topics for information on how to create one and move your changes over.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Edited Sep 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Thank you for replying.

The error that I get from sandcastle is SHFB error BE0043. Unexpected error detected in last build step. We are using all of the original styles etc, even when we used the older version we just install it and leave everything default. The build is happening on a build agent on teamcity by the way. I'm not sure if that has any impact.
Sep 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Edited Sep 17, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Look in the build log. More information about the cause may be listed just before or after the BE0043 error message in the last step that was executing when it failed.

Also, note what I said above. You may need to remove, re-add, and configure any build components and plug-ins you've added to the project in the Components and Plug-Ins categories of project properties. Be sure to check those too.