How to integrate resulting helpfile into VS 2012 and/or VS2013?

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 25, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I have documented a library for Winforms and would like to integrate the documentation into VS2012 and/or VS2013.

Does SHFB provide support for this scenario?
If not, which tools might help?

I read about Microsoft Help Viewer SDK but I don't know if this works together with SHFB.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:10 PM
When you generate MS Help Viewer output, the output folder will contain an executable and an couple of script files that show you how to use it to install and remove Help Viewer content. Note that VS2012 and VS2013 use different catalog names (VisualStudio11 and VisualStudio12 respectively). You'll need to update the scripts files based on which version you are installing the help in since it only picks up the value from the project.

See the Deploying an MS Help Viewer File and the Help Library Manager Utility topics in the help file for more information.

Within the standalone GUI and Visual Studio, you can use the View Help File option to install and view it and remove it while testing. Just be sure to set the Help Viewer Category project property correctly depending on which version of the help viewer you are installing the help in.