SHFB error BE0029: Unexpected error while executing plug-in 'Output Deployment'

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM
I'm trying to get the documentation to be included in my Teamcity build process.

Whenever I run the build step that calls the documentation build, it fails with:
SHFB error BE0029: Unexpected error while executing plug-in 'Output Deployment': System.IO.IOException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

When I run the build step using a build agent on my development machine, it works fine.

This seems to be an accessibility issue for the identity that runs the documentation build.
Is there a way I can determine what access fails?

The output deployment target points to a drive letter on the network using an UNC path, like:

\hostname\driveletter$\directory

(I did not specify any credentials at all, and I would expect the process to use authentication of the current identity.)
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Credentials won't come into play for a UNC path, it just does a normal File.Copy. Whatever ID the host process runs under would need read/write permission to the given folder. That would be the place to start looking.

Eric
Feb 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM
It seems that the reason this failed was that I did not refer to the deployment path using the actual hostname, but using a DNS-alias.
This works fine on my machine, but the automated process, that deployed onto itself could not handle this situation:

Machine names and the actual machine they refer to
  1. MyMachineName (machine 1)
  2. BuildMachineName (machine 2)
  3. ApplicationName (machine 2)
Works:
  • MyMachineName > BuildMachineName
  • MyMachineName > ApplicationName
  • BuildMachineName > BuildMachineName
Does not work:
  • BuildMachineName > ApplicationName
This seems to be windows-behaviour, as this does not only happen in SHFB, but also when I use the MS Application deployment tool.

I ended up using the build machine name, although this is not conceptually preferable.

Thanks for your response.