I have been assimilated :-) Switched from Prototype to vs2005 now cannot remove feedback link

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 3, 2009 at 10:59 PM
OK,
  After several unsuccessful attempts to get a handle on what I need to learn/do to add real printing support to the prototype style, I have given up on elegant help files and joined the masses using the vs2005 style.  I get two issues right out of the box however.  The first is mine, I have references to CookieDataStore.js in my conceptual content which does not appear to exist for the vs2005 style.  I can rip those out, but I am concerned that I should be replacing them with something else. 

The second issue is more troubling.  I have set the ShowFeedbackControl value to false.  I even verified in the XML that it is set false.  Yet I still get the Send Feedback link with the vs2005 style.  Is this a bug, or is there more I need to do to get rid of this link?

Thanks again for the help and the great tool.
Pat O
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2009 at 2:55 AM
I take it you are referring to HTML additional content as MAML conceptual content files shouldn't have any script references in the MAML.  Any of that stuff will be added when the MAML is converted to HTML.  If you need to convert your HTML to MAML, see the HTML to MAML Converter available in the Sandcastle Styles project.  I'd recommend that as then you don't have to worry about changes to the style related stuff such as the scripts used.

Regarding the ShowFeedbackControl property, see the property description.  It's only applicable to the October 2007 CTP which featured a feedback control in the page footer.  It was commented out in the subsequent releases but is probably still useable if you modify the resource files so I left the property visible in case people were using it.  It'll go away once I add in support for customizing the resource items since that'll take care of it.  The link in the header is also part of the resources but there is no mechanism for turning in on and off like there was for the footer control.  As such, that will have to wait for the ability to customize the resource items too.  There's an open work item related to that plus a couple of others referenced within it (http://shfb.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=21381).  The workaround for now would be to delete the content from the the feedback header resource item element.

Eric
Mar 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM
So I guess I am back to the question what would it take to get the Prototype style to print correctly?

Pat O
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2009 at 8:19 PM
If the only thing is the feedback link, like I said, settting the resource item to an empty value fixes that.  Converting HTML to MAML content isn't too bad either unless you've got a lot of them.  The noted tool takes care of most of the work, the rest is just review and clean up.

Eric
Mar 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM
Eric,
  I do not understand what you mean by "setting the resource item to an empty value".  The feedback title and email is set to an empty value.

Pat O
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2009 at 4:03 PM
Sorry, I should have made that more clear.  Edit the Sandcastle content file and set its resource item that controls the feedback link in the header to an empty value.  Open C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\VS2005\Content\shared_content.xml.  Locate the feedbackHeader item and either comment out or delete the content.  For example:

<item id="feedbackHeader"></item>

A future release of SHFB will support overriding such items with a project file so that you don't have to edit the Sandcastle files directly.

Eric
Mar 6, 2009 at 9:18 PM
Thanks,  By a future release I assume you mean not 1.8.

Pat O
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2009 at 2:51 AM
I don't have any firm plans on when it will get done, more or less when I get to it.  It may be in a future 1.8.x release, maybe not.

Eric