'Create New Project From Other Format' fails

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 6, 2009 at 8:03 AM
Hi there,

I get the following problem when trying to import a project created in into using the 'Create New Project From Other Format' functionality.

I did the following:
- Deinstalled existing SHFB
- Installed the brand new beta
- Open the imported dialog and entered the following settings to import the old project file (note: the xml content of the project file states it used schema version :
Project format: SHFB or earlier
Project to convert: d:\temp\someProject.shfb
(note: the xml content of the project file states it used schema version
Location of new project file: d:\temp\new

Then I get the following error:
Unable to convert project. Reason: Error PRJ0003: Error reading
project from 'D:\temp\new\someProject.shfbproj':
An attempt was made to set a read-only or ignored property:
Platform  Value:BNB

Additional info:
- Operating system: Vista Business SP1.
- Sandcastle version: Sandcastle_2.4.10520 with presentation style patch SandCastlePatch_May08_2_4_10520_Rev2 applied.
- Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 SDK 1.1 installed.
- Html Help Workshop 1.0 installed.
- SHFB was installed earlier, but deinstalled it because of this same error, then installed again. After that, i deinstalled it (as state above) to install

Anyone who recognizes this error or knows a solution?
If you wish, i can provide the project file as well.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Edited Feb 6, 2009 at 3:51 PM
I just figured it out.  Usually, stuff like "Platform" is ignored.  However, on your system, you must have an environment variable that MSBuild is picking up and using for the Platform setting.  Currently, I'm not doing a case-sensitive match for the name so if your enviroment variable is "PLATFORM", it won't ignore it and will pass it on to the project to try and set and it fails.  I'll fix it and issue a refresh later today.

In the meantime to work around the problem, you can either remove the environment variable or change its case to match "Platform" so that it is ignored.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:55 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Feb 7, 2009 at 7:34 PM
I've uploaded a refresh of the Beta files that fixes the issue.  Just download and reinstall.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:18 AM
There was indeed a variable PLATFORM in the system environment variables defined, with value BNB.
After deinstalling and installing your fix it works fine. Now i'm just curious who added this variable to my system..

Anyway, thanx for the quick reaction to my issue. Keep up the good work!