"Unable to locate standard presentation style definition file" when creating project in VSTS 2012 after downgrade to 1.9.3.0

Topics: User Forum
Sep 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate.

I recently uninstalled SFHB 1.9.6.0 and installed version 1.9.3.0 for compatibility with a build server running the older version. Since this uninstall and reinstall, I can no longer create Sandcastle Help File Builder projects in Visual Studio. I receive an error indicating project creation failed, message = "Unable to locate standard presentation style definition file".

Based on reading of a reported issue, this appears to possibly be related to paths being scrambled. I uninstalled Sandcastle and SFHB again, deleted whatever leftover files I could find, and checked the environment variables for DXROOT and SHFBROOT. With the SFHB not installed, I had no references to these variables. After reinstall and reboot, these values are C:\Program Files (x86)\Sandcastle\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder. These appear to be correct.

How can I correct things so that 1.9.3.0 works on this machine?
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Sandcastle, SHFB, and the Visual Studio Package are a matched set. If you uninstall one, uninstall them all. Restart Visual Studio after removing the VSPackage so that it finishes the removal process. After that, reinstall the older version using the matching guided installer.

Eric
Sep 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Thanks for the quick response; I had forgotten about the Visual Studio Package altogether.

I have uninstalled all three and re-installed using the Guided Installer for Sandcastle Help File Builder 1.9.3.0. After a reboot, I still don't see the Sandcastle project types, and the extensions window doesn't show the Sandcastle Visual Studio Integration package. Where can I get the Visual Studio Package for 1.9.3.0? The links I've found so far all take me to the latest version of the Guided Installer, which I can't use due to the need for compatibility with 1.9.3.0.
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Looking at the version history, the alpha release of the VSPackage wasn't published until v1.9.3.1. Given that it was not feature complete and was an alpha release, I no longer list it on the downloads page. You're better off upgrading your build server to the latest release of SHFB and Sandcastle. If that's not an option, you'll need to use the standalone GUI that comes with v1.9.3.0 to manage the project.

Eric
Sep 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Thank you. I used the standalone GUI and got the project to build on the build server. Thank you. I miss the integrated editor and will start agitating for an upgrade.