SHFB: Error BE0043: Unexpected error detected in last build step. See output above for details.

Topics: User Forum
Aug 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I'm using SHFB at my build server and everything was running fine before I added some more of my projects as sources.

Now I get the following log output:
  Warn: ShowMissingComponent: [M:OneTrueError.Reporting.WCF.DefaultErrorMessageFactory.Create(OneTrueError.Reporting.WCF.WcfErrorReporterContext,System.String)] Missing <param name="incidentId"/> documentation
  Warn: ShowMissingComponent: [M:OneTrueError.Reporting.WCF.DefaultFaultMessageFactory.Create(OneTrueError.Reporting.WCF.WcfErrorReporterContext,System.ServiceModel.Channels.MessageVersion,System.String)] Missing <param name="version"/> documentation
BUILDASSEMBLER : error : Unexpected end tag. Line 6, position 16. (Line Number: 6; Line Position: 16; Source URI: '') [C:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\15395681de2bb14b\src\Help\Reporting\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj]
  Diagnostic: CopyFromIndexComponent: "reflection" in-memory cache entries used: 12 of 15.
  Diagnostic: CopyFromIndexComponent: "comments" in-memory cache entries used: 3 of 30.
  Diagnostic: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2: New MSDN content ID cache size: 48 entries
    Last step completed in 00:01:33.8229
-------------------------------

SHFB: Error BE0043: Unexpected error detected in last build step.  See output above for details.
The proj file:
<Project DefaultTargets="Build" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003" ToolsVersion="4.0">
  <!-- Sandcastle Help File Builder Tasks.  http://SHFB.CodePlex.com -->
  <UsingTask TaskName="SandcastleBuilder.Utils.MSBuild.BuildAssembler"
    AssemblyFile="$(SHFBROOT)\SandcastleBuilder.Utils.dll" />

<!-- Task properties -->
  <PropertyGroup>
    <SandcastlePath>C:\Program Files (x86)\Sandcastle\</SandcastlePath>
    <ConfigurationFile>sandcastle.config</ConfigurationFile>
    <ManifestFile>manifest.xml</ManifestFile>
    <WorkingFolder>C:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\15395681de2bb14b\src\Help\Reporting\Working\</WorkingFolder>
  </PropertyGroup>

<!-- This defines the dependencies for the Build target -->
  <PropertyGroup>
    <BuildDependsOn>
      BeforeBuildReferenceTopics;
      BuildReferenceTopics;
      AfterBuildReferenceTopics
    </BuildDependsOn>
  </PropertyGroup>

<Target Name="Build" DependsOnTargets="$(BuildDependsOn)" />

<!-- The Build Conceptual Topics target -->
  <Target Name="BuildReferenceTopics">
    <SandcastleBuilder.Utils.MSBuild.BuildAssembler
      SandcastlePath="$(SandcastlePath)"
      WorkingFolder="$(WorkingFolder)"
      ConfigurationFile="$(ConfigurationFile)"
      ManifestFile="$(ManifestFile)" />
  </Target>

<!-- The following targets may be overridden or replaced to perform
       additional processing. -->
  <Target Name="BeforeBuildReferenceTopics" />
  <Target Name="AfterBuildReferenceTopics" />
</Project>
How can I determine which tag it complains about?
Aug 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Hi!
Verify the correctness of the XML documentation of the new projects. Maybe non valid XML in BuildReferenceTopics.proj.
In shfb log
Unexpected end tag
/Jonas
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM
The error isn't related to the BuildReferenceTopics.proj file. It's more likely bad XML comments or perhaps an imported code block. Set the BuildAssembler Verbosity project property to All Messages. It will then report the member ID of each topic. The comments of the last one shown before the exception will be the place to start looking.

Eric