Issue with compiling the sandcastle project to generate the class reference contents

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I have installed the Sandcastle help file builder (SHFB_1950) build, while installing the build it prompts that "Microsoft help 2 compiler " could not be found on this system. Even the required Visual Studio SDK components has been installed in the machine. I have followed the help instructions including restart the machine after reinstalling the visual studio SDK . But installer still prompts it doesn't exist in the machine. So, i have skipped that step and proceed the installation. If i create any sandcastle project, i am unable to compile the project. It throws the "SHFB: Error BE0038: Could not find the path to the MS Help 2 compiler. See error topic in help file for details "

How to fix the reported issue, without reinstallation ?

May 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM
The Help 2 compiler is only in a specific version of the VS 2008 SDK to make sure you install the right version (VS 2008 SDK 1.0, not one of the later versions). If it's in a non-standard location and you know where, you can put the path in the MS Help 2 Compiler Folder property in the Paths category of project properties so that SHFB can find it without having to search the standard locations.