HelpLibraryManagerLauncher.exe for help viewer 2 content; problems on uninstall

Topics: User Forum
Dec 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I just noticed a couple problems with HelpLibraryManagerLauncher.exe when trying to install and uninstall help viewer 2 content:

• On installation or uninstallation, if I don't include the "/locale" argument, I get an exception thrown and it crashes: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\HelpLibrary2\Catalogs\manifest'. I should note that the working directory in this case, where the exe is run, contains both spaces and "." characters.
  • Even after fixing that problem, uninstallation doesn't do anything for help viewer 2 content. It does not report any errors; it returns 0. It just does nothing. I worked around this problem by using HlpCtntMgr.exe directly, similar to the way it is done here:
Dec 27, 2012 at 2:08 AM

If not specified, the launcher tool will try to determine the default locale.  It should report what it's using as the default.  If it's not finding the right locale, it's probably best to always be explicit.  Someone else reported that periods in the name caused the install to fail (  Removing the periods fixed the problem in that case.

Uninstall does work but issues with the periods in the name may be causing problems in this case.  Be aware that when spawned as a new process as it is in the case where the tool launches it, it returns almost immediately as it spins off a background process to do the actual uninstall.  That's why the example scripts include the "/wait 0" command line option for installs so that it waits for the background uninstall task to finish.  You'll see a tray icon that reports progress if you hover over it and a tooltip that pops up automatically to report that it's done.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Thanks, Eric. Regarding the locale problem, it was not the name of the file that had spaces or periods, but the directory path. I did not trying moving it to a different directory. I do believe the uninstall fails completely, as I did not see any tray icon. I can't give any more information, as it reports nothing.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I added a delay in the bat file between uninstall and install because the wait didn't seem to work for me.

REM Adding this for a small delay
ECHO -Pausing for 30 seconds to make sure the uninstall terminated correctly-
PING -n 1 -w 30000 >NUL