Newby Confused by Sandcastle Help

Topics: User Forum
Nov 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Hi

I'm trying to get to grips with Sandcastle and I'm using the Getting Started section from Sandcaste help. I'm confused by the Walkthrough: Creating Your FIrst Project

1. I can't find the file Sandcastle.MRefBuilder.dll mentioned in step 3

2. It tells me I should have a Visual Studio project, which I have, but it doesn't explain how to put references from this project into help project.

Help

Bob

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Sorry, I'm in the process of updating the documentation and that's one of the changes that needed to be made.  That assembly no longer exists.  Just use SandcastleBuilder.WPF.dll instead and SandcastleBuilder.Utils.dll as the reference assembly.

If you are using the Visual Studio project as the documentation source, there is no need to add the references to the SHFB project.  SHFB will extract the necessary reference assemblies from your Visual Studio project.

Eric

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Hi Eric

Thanks - I've got the demo working, but I'm still stuck trying to produce documentation from my own project.

This is a Visual C# Express 2010 project. I've set the doc source to the .sln file, but when I try to build I get Errors BE0006 and BE0042 - which makes no sense to me.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but this is getting very frustrating.

Cheers

Bob

Coordinator
Nov 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Edited Nov 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM

BE0006 means it couldn't find the documentation source based on the project.  BE0042 is a secondary result of that meaning it found nothing at all to document.  What type of projects are in the solution?  If it's a website project, bear in mind that they do not typically produce any assemblies that are listed as output in the project nor any XML comments files.  In that case, you'd need to add the web code providers to your project to get the XML comments and manually add the website's .\bin folder as a documentation source in the SHFB project.  There's a topic on documenting websites in the Getting Started section if that is the case.

All other project types should work.  If all else fails, try adding the assembly and XML comments files directly.  I suppose it's possible the Express editions use diffent project type IDs.  If you can send me the solution file and project file, I can take a look at them and see why it isn't finding the targets.  My e-mail address is in the About box in the standalone GUI and in the footer of the pages in the help file.

One other thing, make sure the Configuration and Platform settings selected in the SHFB toolbar match the Configuration and Platform settings used to build your project (i.e. Debug/AnyCPU, Release/AnyCPU, Debug/x86, etc).  If not, that will cause it to not find the proper output targets.

Eric

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Hi Eric

With your permission, I'll send you the Visual C# Express 2010 project. Zipped up, it's only 50k.  It's a simple Console (Hello World) project that I set up specifically for the purpose of experimenting with Sandcastle.

Cheers

Bob

Coordinator
Nov 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM

That would be fine.  However, as I mentioned, make sure you've got the right configuration and platform selected in SHFB to match the one from your project.  That will most likely solve the issue.

Eric