Disable local reference links but keep MSDN reference links

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I'm using SHFB 1.9.1 and have copied the vs2005 presentation style to a custom name and have modified it for my purposes but what I have been unable to determine is how to turn off reference links for classes within my project but keep the MSDN reference links. Alternatively, if that cannot be done, I'm ok with disabling all reference links.

But everything I've tried still leaves the local reference links in place.

Could someone point me in the direction for making this change?

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM

There is no option within SHFB to disable links for API members within the project since there didn't seem to be much point.  As such, the option for project member links is hard-coded in the configuration file templates.  You can find them in the SHFB installation folder in the .\Templates sub-folder.  The VS2005.config file controls the settings for the VS2005 presentation style and its derivatives.  Find the sections for the ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2 and change the link type for the reflection.xml file from Local/Index/Id to None.

Eric

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Edited Oct 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Hi Eric,

I meant to reply sooner. Thank you for the assistance. It was much appreciated.

-Lynn

EDIT: Also, the reason why I wanted to do this was because I had been asked to generate API documentation for one of our projects, but had been asked to produce a Word document. Since there is not currently a Word output option, I was aiming to create a CHM file and use one of the many CHM to Word converters to produce what I wanted. In this case, the MSDN links, since they point to external resources, translated properly, but the internal links to other API calls did not. So what I wanted was to remove the internal API links while leaving the MSDN links in place. Of course the section markup still didn't look right but the generate document was closer to what was needed. I ended up not being able to use it because the generated Word document was simply too large (it's a big API) so we're just going to make use of the CHM file output.

Really wish there was a direct to Word option though.

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Having an output type of Word or PDF has been requested in the past.  One idea I've had is to perhaps create a presentation style that generates Open XML output which could be compressed into a .docx file (they're just ZIP files like help viewer files but with different requirements).  The result should be much smaller than a typical .doc Word document and, as it's Open XML, it should be readily convertible to other formats such as PDF.  Creating a presentation style is quite a bit of work but it's on the To Do list so I may look into it at some point in the future but no promises on when that might be.

Eric

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM

You might want to check out https://docx.codeplex.com/ for the Word file generation.