Access through MediaWiki

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 6, 2008 at 10:36 PM
I have my product documentation hosted on Mediawiki. I would like to reference the functions and classes inside SandCastle's Help through my wiki pages. Can someone help me in understanding how to do this ? Thanks !
Nov 7, 2008 at 1:49 AM
Edited Nov 7, 2008 at 1:50 AM
If you bring up the Index page for the SHFB generated website (Index.html or Index.aspx), you can right click on the links in the navigation pane and select Copy Shortcut.  Paste that into your web page that you want to link to the selected topic and modify the link by inserting "Index.html?topic=" or "Index.aspx?topic=" immediately in front of the "html/" part of the link.  That will bring up the index page and show the selected topic as the default page in the right-hand pane.  For example:

The page name format is controlled by the NamingMethod project property.  See the Help File category topic for more information.

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:54 PM
Thanks Eric !

But what if the short-cuts change; as they would if I add new classes/files to my project. Is there a way to automate this one-to-one relationship b/w the documentation produced by Sandcastle and it's references in MediaWiki.

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:29 PM
Adding new items won't affect the existing names.  The names will only change if you do something to them such as change the namespace, class name, method name, add a new parameter to a method, etc.  Removing an item would also result in a broken link.  I'm not familiar with MediaWiki so I can't say if there's an automated way of doing it or not.  The NamingMethod documentation describes how each naming method produces the names and provides a small code example.  You could probably use that as the basis for a tool to generate the links if necessary.

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Thanks! This is still very helpful.

Travis - LibUsbDotNet