Recognize <inheritdoc/> in Intellisense

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Hi,

I was recently assigned to document a C# project and i've encountered several problems. I used the <inheritdoc/> tag for methods (so that i would only comment a method properly in the interface of its class), which showed up nicely in the documentation generated with SHFB, but i don't know how i could make Visual Studio's Intellisense to process this, so that i could see a method's comment when i hover the mouse over it, through the source code.

Could you, please give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Monica

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Hi,

you can add the IntelliSense Component to the SFHB project. It creates new XML files and expands the inherited documentation so that Visual Studio can provide useful IntelliSense.

See 

• Using the <inheritdoc /> Tag
    http://www.ewoodruff.us/shfbdocs/?topic=html/79897974-ffc9-4b84-91a5-e50c66a0221d.htm
  • IntelliSense Component
    http://www.ewoodruff.us/shfbdocs/?topic=html/5d546511-6aec-455a-ba09-9daffb124c6d.htm
Aug 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Hi again,

I did what you said, but unless the SHFB overwrites the existing xml files, i can't seem to find any others. And neither does Visual Studio provide the IntelliSense comments that i'm looking for, after a new build. It might be a dumb question, but is there anything else i should have done, 'cause i keep trying and i'm still getting no results?

Thanks again,

Monica.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM

By default, the new XML files are written to the SHFB output folder.

When I build multiple formats (e.g. HtmlHelp + Website), then the XML files sometimes disappear from the SHFB output folder - not sure why.
This does not happen if I set a custom output folder for the IntelliSense files. (Open project in SHFB GUI -> Project Properties -> ComponentConfigurations -> select the IntelliSense Component and click "Configure".)

When I ship my libraries, I distribute my assemblies together with the new XML files, and my customers will get the correct IntelliSense.