Script Error occur in VS 2012 Help Viewer

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 22, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I am using Sandcastle Help file builder (, Sandcastle ( and .NET Framework 4.0 assemblies to generate the Class reference for Visual Studio.

I have used Framework version is .NET 4.0.30319 and Help File Format is MSHelpViewer and Presentation Style is vs2005 in Sandcastle Help file builder. It is working fine in VS 2010 (Help viewer 1.1). It shows Script error in VS 2012 (Help Viewer 2.0).

Shall I need to change any settings to solve this issue? Please help me to solve this issue.

An Error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 85

Char: 17

Error: Unknown runtime error

Code: 0

URL: ms-xhelp: ///?7655C546-8CF1-4FB3-2012-B341786F4EBB_EN-US_Class Reference; /branding.js

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

This error is reproduced in VS 2012 RC. But not reproduced in VS 2012 RTM. Now I have faced another issue. Link words are not working in documentation including the Email feedback link and shows “Cannot find requested topic on your computer”. Please help me know how to solve this.

I am using default properties under the MS Help Viewer section.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

With regard to the first issue, some of the Help 2 (HxS) elements are causing security issues in MS Help Viewer 2. I've updated SHFB to remove these elements when building an MS Help Viewer file but haven't published it yet. The code is checked in here so if you need it immediately, you could download the code and build the updated version of the SHFB tools.

With regard to the second issue, I haven't had a chance to install and test the RTM version yet so I can't say whether this is a new issue or if it's related to the first one.  I'll let you know as soon as I've had a chance to check it out.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the update. Regarding the second issue, it exists in VS 2012 RC also. If we click any method or class inside the document it shows that the navigation link is not available. But if we click the class from TOC it is open properly. It seems the Navigation link is not working properly in MS help viewer 2.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Regarding the links not working, I have identified the problem and figured out a workaround.  See my reply in this thread: