Non-English language support

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 3, 2008 at 6:58 AM
Edited Nov 3, 2008 at 2:42 PM
Hi,

I'm working on a project that need to support multiple languages.

In last year, we used Sandcastle March 2007 CTP Release and Sandcastle Help File Builder V1.4.0.1. Only one extra step to support non-english languages -- Setting the ansi code page in control pannel, to the language of CHM, then everything goes fine.

But now, with latest release, we did exactly the same thing, the characters(to be more specific, Chinese) in left pannel cannot be displayed correctly.

So I wander:

1. Do you have any suggestions/workarounds?
2. If I cannot find a solution, I have to use the old versions. Unfortunately, I lost the setup files for them, and I also cannot find them in downloads. Do you have an archive for this version?

Your help are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I tried on another computer, and it works.... Maybe I missed something... I will try again tomorrow, and get back if I still have problems.

Thanks,
Luther
Coordinator
Nov 3, 2008 at 4:11 PM
Version 1.7.0.0 contains the DBCS Fix Plug-In which you can add via the PlugInConfigurations project property.  This uses the Steel Bytes App Locale tool to run the help compiler in the locale of the selected project language and you don't have to change your system.  See the plug-in help topic for details.

Eric
Nov 4, 2008 at 9:50 AM
Thanks for your quick reply. The plug-in didn't help, since I already setted the ansi code page manually.

I found out the reason why I got different result, it is the operating system...
The generated CHM can be displayed correctly on Vista, but cannot on Win2K3 and XP.

Have you tested the localization features on these OSes?

If you need, I can send you a repro package.
Coordinator
Nov 4, 2008 at 3:56 PM
I used to use XP and I now use Vista.  However, I don't have the means to test all the various languages.

Eric
Nov 5, 2008 at 1:59 AM
I've opened 19332 in issue tracker, and attached the repro package, along with generated CHM. You can see the difference if you open the CHM in different OSes.

In the meanwhile, do you have an archive for Sandcastle March 2007 CTP Release and Sandcastle Help File Builder V1.4.0.1?. Just in case if I cannot find solution before my product release.

Thanks,
Luther
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2008 at 2:33 AM
Edited Nov 5, 2008 at 3:05 AM
I'm sorry, but as I noted I do not have the means to test the various language settings on the various OSes.  Since it is CHM and/or OS related and not build related, I doubt there's much I can do in SHFB beyond what is already provided anyway.  Unfortunately, this is something you will have to work through on your own.  I can make v1.4.0.1 available but I do not have a copy of the March 2007 Sandcastle CTP to go with it.

I know you said you'd tried the DBCS Fix plug-in but it sounded like you had changed the code page and used it in combination with that.  If that is the case, I'd suggest resetting the code page to whatever it should be and then using the plug-in.  It's possible that if you didn't the use of the code page plus the plug-in may have contributed to the problem.  The plug-in replaces the need to change the code page manually.

Something else you can check is the code page defined for the language in the SandcastleHtmlExtract.exe.config file which is used in the newer versions to set the code page used when writing out the Help 1 table of content and keyword index files.  If it differs from what you are using I suppose that could also affect it.

Eric
Nov 5, 2008 at 2:52 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2008 at 4:05 PM
Thanks for your explainations.

If I set the language "Chinese(Simplified)", the lcid (0x4) is not recognized by the help compiler. If I open the .hpp file with help workshop, the language is displayed as unknown.
But when I changed to "Chinese(People's republic of China)", the problem is resolved.

So I suggest remove the "Chinese(Simplified)" option from the list in future releases.
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2008 at 8:38 PM
A user submitted the language files for Chinese (Simplified) so I'm going to leave it in as it is used by someone.  It may be valid for Help 2 files and shouldn't have any problems for website builds.

Eric