error MSB6006

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I get the following error:

Compiling HTML Help 1 file...
[C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe]
C:\Projects\Shim\Help\Working\Build1xHelpFile.proj(41,5): error MSB6006: "HHC.EXE" exited with code -1073741515.
C:\Projects\Shim\Help\Working\Build1xHelpFile.proj(52,5): error MSB3021: Unable to copy file "C:\Projects\Shim\Help\Working\Output\HtmlHelp1\Documentation.chm" to "C:\Projects\Shim\\Help\\Documentation.chm". Could not find file 'C:\Projects\Shim\Help\Working\Output\HtmlHelp1\Documentation.chm'.

There does not appear to be any other errors in the log file prior to this one.  What also is odd, is that it was working.  I also tried to make a new project with an entirely different assembly, and I get the same error.

It is producing the HHK & HHC files from a previous step.

Any thoughts?

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

HHC.EXE is the part that's failing.  I haven't seen that error code that it is reporting before and nothing shows up when I search for it.  Converting the value to hex and searching for the nearest match (C0000135) turns up some entries about missing component errors.  You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the HTML Help Workshop as that's what HHC.EXE is a part of and since it fails in all projects it would appear to be the cause of the problem.

Eric

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Reinstalling the HTML Help Workshop did the trick.

cheers,