All files in working dir deleted!!!

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Oct 28, 2008 at 5:23 PM
I created a new project using the GUI and set my working dir set to c/Program Files/Sandcastle.  I hit build and without warning all files in the dir (apart from the running .dll and .exe) were deleted !  This is flabbergastingly bad design - what if I'd set my woring dir to c:/ ?  This feature should be updated immediately to offer warnings.
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM
The program will stop you from shooting yourself in the foot if you set the paths to a certain set of well known folders such as My Documents, the Desktop, etc. or to the root of a drive or UNC share.  Unfortunately for you, Program Files isn't currently one of the special folders checked because I didn't think anyone would really point it there since, well, it's for installed apps not build output and shouldn't be modified unless it's by an app installer.  It seems I will have to cover all special folders so I'll make the change for the next release.

There is a warning in the property description below the property grid and also in the help topic for these properties. OutputPath has the same warning as it is cleared unconditionally when doing a website build to remove old output from a prior build.  WorkingPath is for temporary build files so it is always cleared.  In general, you can leave it blank as it will default to a .\Working folder under the OutputPath.  That can also usually be left at it's default which is a .\Help folder under the project folder unless you want it stored elsewhere.

Eric
Oct 29, 2008 at 10:23 AM
Ah, thats good.  I only set that to my working dir because I was experimenting with how to get a build working.  I did notice the warning below the property grid but only afterwards - you cant rely on people seeing that.  Sensible behaviour would be to pop up a warning message box as soon as someone finishes typing a new working dir into the grid (after checking that it exists and contains files ).