Using presentation styles for additional content

Topics: User Forum
Jan 22, 2007 at 3:50 PM
Has anyone figured out an easy way to quickly create additional content using the same presentation styles provided with sandcastle (vs2005 or prototype) as a template? It's not hard for me to figure out the necessary html and then copy it in every one of my html files, but if microsoft decides to change something as sandcastle evolves, I'm stuck with changing every one of my hand-made html files.

For example, I've looked into using HelpStudio Lite templates, but since the build output of that product throws everything into one folder, it's not possible for me to use that as additional content for SHFB because the TOC would be lost.

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:17 PM
If you're not afraid of a bit of Perl scripting, you can try using the script I've developed.
You basically make a working copy of your content folder, then modify that by adding the styles and whatnot to make the look+feel come out right.
As an added feature, the script adds breadcrumbs to the mirror your directory structure, and it replaces the magic word "<autolist>" with a bullet list of sub-topics.

You can download it from

We use htmltidy to clean out word-droppings from any HTML that's been mangled by the Word monster, so you'll see references to that in the script.