TFS/CodeAnalysis Build Failure

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 9, 2008 at 10:00 PM
Hii,

I'm trying to use SHFB to build my documentation as part of an automated TFS build. I have it mostly working, but seem to have run into an issue caused by my having turned on code analysis for the build.

It seems when I do this, MSBuild creates files called <assemblyname>.CodeAnaylsis.Xml in the build output directory, and it also appears that SHFB tries to load and examine these as documentation xml files, and then throws an error because they don't contain the correct format XML.

Is there anyway to get SHFB to ignore these files and only look at files that match the <assemblyname>.xml file spec ?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2008 at 3:03 AM
It'll only find and try to include them if you've specified a wildcard for the XML comments file path.  Instead, add one entry for each XML comments file or assembly/comments file pair.

Eric
Oct 10, 2008 at 3:17 AM
Thanks for the response Eric,

I assume you mean that when I call SandcastleBuilderConsole I should pass the -comments argument with each xml file ?

I could do that, but it's a bit annoying... the solution I'm using came from a blog and the idea behind it was not to pass in any specific file names so that when new projects are added to the build they are automatically documented without my having to update the SHFB project file manually (or the TFS build script calling the console).

At the moment, I am NOT passing the -comments argument at all, I am just passing 

-v -assembly=

&quot;$(OutDir)*.dll&quot; -outputpath=&quot;$(OutDir).&quot;

which resolves to

-v assembly="c:\builds\<buildnumber>\*.dll" -outputpath="c:\builds\<buildnumber>"

Is there anyway I can pass -comments with a file spec that excludes the files I don't want, rather than having to include each one that I do ?

Or have I misunderstood completely.

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2008 at 4:24 PM

If you're not specify a comments file on -assembly, it will attempt to locate an XML comments file for the assembly by changing the extension to ".xml" on the assembly name.  As such, I wouldn't expect it to pick up any of the other XML files in the build folder especially if you aren't using -comments, unless one of the assembly names happens to match one of the code analysis XML files.  What's the error you are getting?  Also, look back in the ValidatingAssemblies step.  It'll show a list of the assemblies and comments files it found and will use for the build.

Starting with the next release, this shouldn't be an issue.  I've switched to an MSBuild project format for the SHFB file and Visual Studio solutions and projects are supported as documentation sources.  When specified that way, it extracts the assembly, comments, and reference info from the projects.  I'm going to try and get an alpha release out within the next week or so.

Eric

Oct 12, 2008 at 9:19 PM
Hi again Eric,

First, I just want to say that SHFB is a fantastic product, I've been using it for two years now and this is the first time I've had to come to the forums for help, and the response from you has been excellent :)

To answer your questions;

1. The exact command I'm executing is;

"C:\Program Files\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\SandcastleBuilderConsole.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\BuildType\project.shfb" -v -assembly="C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\*.dll" -outputpath="C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\."

.. so I don't believe I'm specifying comment files anywhere. The SHFB project file itself has no assembly or comments files in it.

2. The error from the log file is;

<buildStep step="Failed">

BUILD FAILED: C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Deploy.Win32.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xmldoes not contain a doc/members node

</buildStep>

3. The validating assemblies section shows it has picked up the <assemblyname>.codeanalysis.xml files somehow;

<buildStep step="ValidatingAssemblies">
Validating and copying documentation assembly information...
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\AkSoft.AppDomainAssistant.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\AkSoft.AppDomainAssistant.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\AkSoft.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\AkSoft.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\AkSoft.FrameworkIndependentLibrary.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\AkSoft.FrameworkIndependentLibrary.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\AkSoft.Windows.Firewall.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\AkSoft.Windows.Firewall.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\AxInterop.DPSEFTXLib.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\AxInterop.DPSEFTXLib.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\AxInterop.WMPLib.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\AxInterop.WMPLib.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\Ftl.BENServer.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\Ftl.BENServer.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\Interop.DPSEFTXLib.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\Interop.DPSEFTXLib.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\Interop.NATUPNPLib.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\Interop.NATUPNPLib.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\Interop.NETCONLib.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\Interop.NETCONLib.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\Interop.NetFwTypeLib.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\Interop.NetFwTypeLib.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\Interop.WMPLib.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\Interop.WMPLib.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParser.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParser.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\OfferTreeUnitTests.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\OfferTreeUnitTests.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Deployment.Lib.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Deployment.Lib.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.DPSEftpos.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.DPSEftpos.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.EpsonTM88III.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.EpsonTM88III.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.Generic.KeyboardMSR.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.Generic.KeyboardMSR.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.Generic.KeyboardScanner.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.Generic.KeyboardScanner.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.PortDrivers.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.PortDrivers.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.StillCamera.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.StillCamera.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.SyncroEftpos.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.SyncroEftpos.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.TouchScreenKeyboard.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.TouchScreenKeyboard.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.HeadOfficeSystems.Management2000.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.HeadOfficeSystems.Management2000.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.InvoiceStyleComponents.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.InvoiceStyleComponents.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.KioskComponents.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.KioskComponents.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Lib.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Lib.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Offers.Advanced.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Offers.Advanced.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Offers.Advanced.Win32_Accessor.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Offers.Advanced.Win32_Accessor.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.RFStockHandling.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.RFStockHandling.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.StandardComponents.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.StandardComponents.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.StandardStockHandlingComponents.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.StandardStockHandlingComponents.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Taxes.NZGST.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Taxes.NZGST.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Lib.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Lib.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.MessageHandlers.DeploymentMessageHandler.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.MessageHandlers.DeploymentMessageHandler.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.MSMQTransport.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.MSMQTransport.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Replication.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Replication.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.TableStorage.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.TableStorage.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Types.Win32.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Types.Win32.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\SyncroPLUS.PIPN.dll -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\SyncroPLUS.PIPN.dll
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\AkSoft.FrameworkIndependentLibrary.Win32.XML -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\AkSoft.FrameworkIndependentLibrary.Win32.XML
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\AkSoft.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\AkSoft.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Deploy.Win32.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Deploy.Win32.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Deployment.Lib.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Deployment.Lib.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Deployment.Lib.Win32.XML -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Deployment.Lib.Win32.XML
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.DPSEftpos.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.DPSEftpos.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.EpsonTM88III.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.EpsonTM88III.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.Generic.KeyboardMSR.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.Generic.KeyboardMSR.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.Generic.KeyboardScanner.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.Generic.KeyboardScanner.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.PortDrivers.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.PortDrivers.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.StillCamera.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.StillCamera.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.SyncroEftpos.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.SyncroEftpos.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Devices.TouchScreenKeyboard.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Devices.TouchScreenKeyboard.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.HeadOfficeSystems.Management2000.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.HeadOfficeSystems.Management2000.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.ImportParametersUtility.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.ImportParametersUtility.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.ImportPOSFilesUtility.Win32.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.ImportPOSFilesUtility.Win32.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.InstallUtility.Win32.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.InstallUtility.Win32.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.InvoiceStyleComponents.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.InvoiceStyleComponents.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.KioskComponents.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.KioskComponents.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Lib.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Lib.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Lib.Win32.XML -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Lib.Win32.XML
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Offers.Advanced.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Offers.Advanced.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.RFStockHandling.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.RFStockHandling.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.StandardComponents.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.StandardComponents.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.StandardStockHandlingComponents.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.StandardStockHandlingComponents.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Taxes.NZGST.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Taxes.NZGST.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Lib.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Lib.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Lib.Win32.XML -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Lib.Win32.XML
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.MessageHandlers.DeploymentMessageHandler.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.MessageHandlers.DeploymentMessageHandler.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.MSMQTransport.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.MSMQTransport.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Replication.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Replication.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Replication.XML -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.Replication.XML
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Transporter.TableStorage.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Transporter.TableStorage.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Types.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Types.Win32.dll.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Types.Win32.XML -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Types.Win32.XML
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempo.Store.Win32.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempo.Store.Win32.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\Ontempo Store\Ontempo Store - POS Only\Binaries\Release\onTempoStoreSupportUtility.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml -&gt; C:\Build Sources\OTS Help Build\onTempoStoreSupportUtility.exe.CodeAnalysisLog.xml
</buildStep>

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2008 at 12:10 AM
I found the problem.  When an assembly path is specified without an XML comments path, it defaults the XML comments path to the same thing as the assembly path but with a ".xml" extension and, if it finds at least one file, it keeps it.  Otherwise it ignores it.  I can't think of a good way of getting it to ignore the non-comments XML files in the current release.  What you might be able to do is add an MSBuild Delete task (or Copy and Delete tasks if you need them) to delete/move the code analysis files so that they aren't found.

I'll add a check to the next release that confirms they are comments files and just ignores any that aren't and issues a warning in the log file.

Eric
Oct 13, 2008 at 1:16 AM
Excellent,

Thanks Eric. I shall eagerly await the next release ;)

Good luck.