Ensuring the browser always includes TOC when viewing help

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 17, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Hi

I have noticed that there are a lot of the search results to my documentation but clicking on the link in Google goes directly to the topic page and the table of contents isn't visible. This makes it quite difficult for the user to navigate the help.

Is there a way to ensure the TOC is visible even when the link is directly to a topic page?

The first way of doing this that springs to my mind is to use JavaScript to check whether the page is in an iFrame and if it isn't then redirect the browser to index.html?topic=id. Has this been done before? Are there any better alternatives?

Coordinator
Jul 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I don't recall this coming up before so I'm not aware of any solutions.   You could probably just modify one of the script files such as script_manifold.js that is used by each page and is part of the website to contain the code and have it perform the check there.  It may be best to create a plug-in to add the extra code conditionally for website output only.  That way it isn't in there for the other help formats that don't need it.

Eric