A couple of questions creating additional help text

Topics: User Forum
Oct 5, 2008 at 12:11 AM
Hello,

I am new to SHFB and search in the forum and documentation about a day to reach my goals but faild.

1) how can i add additional text to the default node e.g. constructor which is inserted to group my constructors ?
2) how can i group the methods of a class or the properties
      how can i add text to this new node ?
3) how can i supress generating the documentation for a spcific class / method / property ?

thanks in advance

Uwe Lesta
Coordinator
Oct 5, 2008 at 8:35 PM
Edited Oct 5, 2008 at 8:39 PM
You can't change the groupings of the methods and properties without making changes to the underlying Sandcastle XSL transformations.  You can probably add comments to the existing group pages by creating a standalone XML comments file.  In it, you'd add member comments and give the member an ID that matches the page's ID from the manifest file (usually it will start with "Members:" or something like that).  For overloads, just use the <overloads> element and put the summary and remarks in it to have those comments appear on the overloads pages.  You can get the manifest by setting the CleanIntermediates property to false so that it doesn't clear the working folder after the build.  To exclude classes and members, use the ApiFilter property.  See the FAQ in the help file as it covers most of the common questions and the other topics contained in the help file go into more detail about how to use the features such as the API filter.

If you are unfamiliar with what XML comments tags are available such as <overloads>, see the XML comments guide available from http://www.dynicity.com/Products/XMLDocComments.aspx.

Eric
Oct 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM
Thank you for answering Eric, it was a great help for me.

To reach goal one i use the <overloads> tag. I don't understand the other way you describe. Do you know a example or how to for dummys ?

Most documents  i found about the tags which can be used are incomplete e.g. about the possibileties of <see cref=... />. how to reference indexer, operators, gouppages, ...
there is also potential in the document you advised.

and

Do you know how i can reference to a group page e.g. to a page with the node name 'Inequality Method' ?

Kind regards

Uwe
Coordinator
Oct 9, 2008 at 2:47 AM
Regarding <see> tags and operators and indexers, you'll need to take a look at the XML comments file and use the member ID you see in there for the given indexer or operator.  Sometimes the ID isn't what you'd expect depending on the language you use (C# or VB.NET).  I doubt you can use a reference to one of the group pages in a <see> tag as the compiler validates the target (it must be a type or namespace it can resolve).

Eric
Nov 11, 2008 at 2:09 PM
Edited Nov 11, 2008 at 2:14 PM
Hello Eric,

Thank you for your help.
After lots of try and error i find a way to build a reference to a group page. Since <see href=.../> is supported by SHFB
you can do :
<see href="Overload_SbsSW_SwiPlCs_PlTerm__ctor.htm">Constructors</see>

Kind regards
Uwe Lesta