Hierarchial ToC

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM
Hi,

My apologies if this is a really dumb question, I'm a total newbie to Sandcastle and in fact am currently evaluating it to see how useful it could be to me.

I've tried it out on a fairly large solution, around forty projects and a hundred or so namespaces. I have the Hierarchical ToC plug-in enabled, but it seems to be having no effect - everything is coming out flat.

Reading through the Help File for this plug-in, I noted the sentence

By default, entries in the table of content are only created for namespaces with content.

...and this could be my problem. Several of my key namespaces contain no content (which I assume here means code).

Can anyone tell me how I can change this default setting such that entries in the ToC are created whether or not content exists?

Or, can anyone spot a really stupid mistake I'm making (I have made sure the plugin is checked!) which is preventing this from working? I've not really messed around with the Project Properties yet, do I need to set something there that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Pete
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM
There is a bug in the existing plug-in that causes it to fail if you have the RootNamespaceContainer property set to true.  A patched version of the plug-in assembly can be downloaded from the related work item: http://www.codeplex.com/SHFB/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=17069.

The plug-in also has a numeric option that lets you specify at what point it creates empty containers for those namespaces without content.  The default is 2 namespace parts but you can set it to 1 so that it creates containers for all parts of the namespaces.  There's a better explanation in the plug-in help topic.

Eric
Sep 25, 2008 at 10:43 AM
Thanks Eric, copying those two files produced the output I was expecting.

Pete