1.9.4.0 SHFB: Error BE0065: BUILD FAILED: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Topics: User Forum
Jun 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Hello, I'm currently in the process of updating our SHFB to the latest version and am having troubles when building.

Here is the error I am receiving currently.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<shfbBuild product="Sandcastle Help File Builder" version="1.9.4.0" projectFile="J:\Builds\eic_clay_systest\products\eic\src\icelib\documentation\icelib.shfbproj" started="6/28/2012 4:07:03 PM">
<buildStep step="Initializing">
Loading and initializing plug-ins...
    Last step completed in 00:00:00.0720
</buildStep>
<buildStep step="Failed">

SHFB: Error BE0065: BUILD FAILED: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

GC: Memory used before: 4,814,228
  GC: Memory used after: 2,738,000

</buildStep>
</shfbBuild>

I can add the shfbproj files as well if needed.  I'm not sure how to get any more detail out of the exception than that. I don't have a lot of experience using/setting this up. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2012 at 3:03 AM

It looks like a problem with one of the plug-ins.  Check the PlugInConfigurations property and perhaps remove, add, and configure the plug-ins again.  Depending on which version you upgraded from, it's possible one or more of the plug-in configurations changed and is no longer compatible with the latest version and needs updating.

Eric

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Edited Jun 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Thanks so much for your quick response.  I got that issue lined up and am now running into another that I can't seem to get passed nor find any information via google.

It's now at the GenerateApiFilter step and I receive this error at that point. I can't seem to find what the "Filter name" relates to.

<buildStep step="GenerateApiFilter">
Generating API filter for MRefBuilder...
    Last step completed in 00:00:01.4381
</buildStep>
<buildStep step="Failed">

SHFB: Error BE0065: BUILD FAILED: Filter name contains parameter information which isn't supported
Parameter name: value

GC: Memory used before: 24,215,708
  GC: Memory used after: 21,418,920

</buildStep>
</shfbBuild>

Thanks again
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM

You appear to be running a debug build since that error is conditional and is only thrown in a debug build.  It points out a problem in your API filter which typically shouldn't happen.  If you can, open the API Filter editor, clear the filter, and recreate it.  If it won't open in the editor, open the project in a text editor and delete the <ApiFilter> element and then recreate it in the GUI.

Eric

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I had originally looked for that, but we don't have the ApiFilter in our shfbproj files defined anywhere. In the GUI I get an error saying to run a normal build then trying to reopen it.  I checked our old shfbproj file and we didn't have one defined their either.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Do you perhaps have <exclude /> tags in your XML comments.  These are picked up and added to the API filter.  It's possible one of those is interfering with it.  If you can't find the cause and don't care, running the release build would bypass the issue as the exception isn't thrown in a release build.

Eric