Getting Started - How to launch program

Topics: User Forum
May 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I installed it and I can't find the exe.

i'm on win 7 64 bit, vs 2010

I followed the guided installer

Download the latest Sandcastle Help File Builder Guided Installer

and made sure I installed everything it asked for.

Now it's installed I don't see anything in Programs, nothing in Program Files or Program Files(x86). and nothing in control panel, programs and features.

nothing in vs 2010 that i can find.

What is the path to the exe to run this tool? I see the screen shot in your documentation; that's where i'd like to go. http://www.ewoodruff.us/shfbdocs/media/MainForm.png

Coordinator
May 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

You should see it under Start | All Programs | Sandcastle Help File Builder.  In there, select Sandcastle Help File Builder GUI for the standalone GUI.  If you installed the Visual Studio extension, just select File | New Project | Documentation | Sandcastle Help File Builder Project.  See the SHFB help file in the noted All Programs location for Getting Started topics and Visual Studio topics.

Eric

May 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Edited May 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Thank you for your time. And your answer!

Start | All Programs | Sandcastle Help File Builder 
did not exist when I emailed you.
Something must have gone wrong with the installation?
I downloaded SHFBGuidedInstaller_1940.zip from  http://shfb.codeplex.com/releases/view/81770 
and ran SandcastleInstaller.exe
I got this:
Inline image 1
and then this:
Inline image 2
There was never a finish button on the wizard. At the last step in the wizard TOC I hit close.
When debugging this issue, I checked InstallerConfiguration.xml and noticed these pages were missing from the wizard:
<!-- Sandcastle Help File Builder installer pages -->

<page assembly="SHFB.Installer.dll" type="Sandcastle.Installer.SHFB.SandcastleHelpFileBuilderPage" frameworkVersion="4.0" shfbVersion="1.9.4.0" installerName="SandcastleHelpFileBuilder_1940.msi"/>

<page assembly="SHFB.Installer.dll" type="Sandcastle.Installer.SHFB.SHFBVisualStudioPackagePage" frameworkVersion="4.0" packageGuid="c997d569-ee8e-4947-a46f-9a0717ce39a0" installerName="SHFBVisualStudioPackage_1940.vsix">

<!--
These paths can be adjusted if you installed Visual Studio in a non-standard location
-->

<visualStudio version="10.0" name="Visual Studio 2010 Professional/Premium/Ultimate" location="%VS100COMNTOOLS%\..\IDE"/>
<visualStudio version="11.0" name="Visual Studio 2011 Professional/Premium/Ultimate" location="%VS110COMNTOOLS%\..\IDE"/>
</page>
<page type="Sandcastle.Installer.InstallerPages.CompletionPage"/>

So I just found the things mentioned in the installerName attributes and installed those manually.
They appeared to run successfully.
the gui came up and i built a test project without an error.
the help file looks good.
In vs 2010, I got this:
Inline image 3
I needed to reboot to see an environment variable.
The instructions to do that were on the missing completed wizard page,
so I didn't know to do that, but I suspected.
Anyway, looks like there's some issue in the setup.
I'm just reporting this so you are aware...
thanks!
Coordinator
May 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM

As noted on the download page, the ZIP file containing the installer is blocked on some systems and extracting the content causes the content to be blocked too and it may not load the SHFB installer pages.  Unblocking the ZIP file through its file properties and then extracting it allows it to run normally.

Eric