copy of the help file does not appear to exist yet

Topics: User Forum
Apr 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

All --

Please help.

My Shfb project is set with HelpFileFormat=HtmlHelp1 and...

...I run > Documentation, > Build Project, and the output window says...

Build completed successfully at 04/20/2012 02:28 PM. Total time: 00:00:50.3960

...but after that a windows pops up saying the following...

---------------------------
Sandcastle Help File Builder
A copy of the help file does not appear to exist yet.  It may need to be built.
OK  
...and there is no CHM in the output folder...

...so what is the fix for this???

...have I missed a setting somewhere???

...is there another build step to get a CHM???

...???

Please advise.

Thanks.

-- Mark Kamoski

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

The message box message is rather garbled.  Is that literally what it says or was that a cut and paste issue?  Check back further in the log, there may be an error message in there that perhaps you haven't noticed and maybe isn't being detected.  Typically, the GUI won't open the file immediately after the build unless you've enabled that option and then only if it's successful.  You can turn that behavior off in the User Preferences dialog.  If it's truly compiling the Help 1 file, you should see output in the log file from the Help 1 compiler.

Eric

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM
EWoodruff wrote:

The message box message is rather garbled...

Eric

Dear Eric --

I appreciate the reply...

Regarding this...

>>> The message box message is rather garbled.  Is that literally what it says or was that a cut and paste issue?

...it was a cut-and-paste issue so I am sorry about that...

...I have corrected the original post and am pasting the actual text here...

Sandcastle Help File Builder
A copy of the help file does not appear to exist yet.  It may need to be built.
OK   

....so I am not sure what to think as I was expecting a CHM as output to HtmlHelp1 format...

...but maybe I am missing a setting somewhere because the output directory is filled with what looks like an ASP.NET web project of some kind???

Regarding this...

>>> If it's truly compiling the Help 1 file, you should see output in the log file from the Help 1 compiler

...in the log file "LastBuild.log" the last few lines are...

C:\Code\SharedTools\SandcastleHelpFileBuilder\ShfbProjects\Help\HtmlHelp1\Working\Output\Website\styles\Whidbey\Presentation.css -&gt; C:\Code\SharedTools\SandcastleHelpFileBuilder\ShfbProjects\Help\HtmlHelp1\styles\Whidbey\Presentation.css    Last step completed in 00:00:04.0872</buildStep><buildStep step="CleanIntermediates">Removing intermediate files...    Last step completed in 00:00:01.8876</buildStep><buildStep step="Completed">

Build completed successfully at 04/20/2012 02:28 PM.  Total time: 00:00:50.3960
</buildStep></shfbBuild>

....so it seems to me that it has been built just fine..

So should I be expecting a CHM somewhere or do I need a new setting or do I need to run another tool to get the CHM output or something else?

What do you think?

Please advise.

Thanks.

-- Mark Kamoski

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

That looks like you're building a website.  Check the HelpFileFormat property to make sure you've got HtmlHelp1 selected and not Website.  Note that you can build both by checking them both.  Also, it looks like you've specified the output folder or are using the output deployment plug-in and have it set to .\HtmlHelp1.  Note that building a website will purge the target folder but if built together, the purge happens first so you should see both results in the same folder if you have selected both output types in the HelpFileFormat property.

Eric

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM
EWoodruff wrote:

That looks like you're building a website.  Check the HelpFileFormat property to make sure you've got HtmlHelp1...

Dear Eric --

That was it.

It works perfectly producing a CHM.

I am sorry for the obvious question-- I thought I had checked for that but, apparently, I did not check close enough.

Thanks.

-- Mark Kamoski