Checking User Defined Properties Exist

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 16, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Hi,

I have made a slight modification to the build process to run an additional transform on the reflection data. This modification is triggered from a user defined property as I only want to do it in a couple of exceptional cases. As most of our projects wont need it, I'd prefer to not have to define the property for these projects. However, when I build the documentation for these projects I'm getting an unknown field tag error (BE0020).

Is there any way to determine if a user defined property exists? (I can't find anything in the documentation, and no one else seems to have had this issue).

Thanks.

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2012 at 5:59 AM

If a replacement tag exists in a template it must exist and will be handled within the build engine.  A better choice for such optional processing is to create a SHFB plug-in.  It can be added to the projects that need it and omitted from those that don't need it.  Since your plug-in is only added when needed, it wouldn't need to look for custom properties.  Any configuration information would be set within the plug-in's configuration options.

Eric

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Thanks.

The build process builds all the projects in the solution and generates the documentation, then an external process merges the dll's for publishing. This then means that the assembly module name is incorrect in the documentation. At this stage I am unable to move the document generation to after the merge, so am stuck with transforming the xml during the generation.

I am aware of the plug-in to optionally remove elements from the XML based upon an XPath (XPath Reflection File Filter). Is there already a similar plug-in that will be able to do my required modification for me? It seems to be a bit of an overkill to create a plug-in just to change the module name.

Thanks,

Marcus.

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

There aren't any plug-ins that will modify elements based on your criteria.  It's possible you could clone the XPath plug-in and modify it to suit your needs though.

Eric

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Thanks - I appreciate your help.

MM.