How to build SHFB?

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Would someone point me to system requirements and build instructions for how to build SHFB?  So far, I can get the SandcastleBuilder solution and SHFBSetup solutions to build in release mode.   The SandcastleBuilderPackage project will not load in Visual Studio for some reason.  I cannot open BuildComponents.shfbproj even after running the .MSI file generated fro the setup project.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Tool requirements are listed on the Documentation page here at this site.  See the box on the right side of the page.  As long as the required tools are present, there really isn't anything special to do in order to build the projects.  Just open them and build them.  Note that the MSI does not include Visual Studio support, just the standalone GUI and build engine.  The VS package is installed by the VSIX installer produced from the SandcastleBuilderPackage project.  Most likely, you haven't installed the VSPackage Builder Extension which is available here:

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I overlooked the obvious.  Thank you for directing me.

I get everything to build now.   I have an approximate 11MB MSI, the VSIX and the documentation.

How does the guided installer get built though?   I see DeploymentSteps.txt in the Deployment folder but it isn't clear to me what needs to be done.

Thank you,

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

The guided installer is part of the Sandcastle Styles project.  It handles installing Sandcastle, the patch, and the additional features from the Sandcastle Styles project.  The SHFB deployment stuff is added to it with an updated configuration file that includes the additional steps.  Just download the current release of the Sandcastle Styles patch guided installer and put it in the SHFB deployment folder.  Just keep the configuration file from SHFB.