Unable to Build Some Assemblies

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I just stumbeled upon this project yesterday and downloaded the latest.  After installing, I was able to quickly create documentation files.  However, as I hit each assembly, some would not build due to the error below.  I can't figure out what's actually causing this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really impressed with this too.  Thanks Eric for the great work.  Hopefully we can get this resolved soon.  Please let me know if you need any other information.

Generating reflection information...
[C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe]
  MrefBuilder (v2.6.10621.1)
  Copyright c Microsoft 2006
  Info: Loaded 1 assemblies for reflection and 0 dependency assemblies.

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: '', hexadecimal value 0x07, is an invalid character.
     at System.Xml.XmlEncodedRawTextWriter.InvalidXmlChar(Int32 ch, Char* pDst, Boolean entitize)
     at System.Xml.XmlEncodedRawTextWriter.WriteAttributeTextBlock(Char* pSrc, Char* pSrcEnd)
     at System.Xml.XmlEncodedRawTextWriter.WriteString(String text)
     at System.Xml.XmlEncodedRawTextWriterIndent.WriteString(String text)
     at System.Xml.XmlWellFormedWriter.WriteString(String text)
     at System.Xml.XmlWriter.WriteAttributeString(String localName, String value)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ManagedReflectionWriter.WriteApiData(Member api)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ManagedReflectionWriter.WriteMember(Member member, TypeNode type)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ManagedReflectionWriter.WriteTypeElements(TypeNode type)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ManagedReflectionWriter.WriteType(TypeNode type)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ManagedReflectionWriter.VisitType(TypeNode type)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.Reflection.ApiVisitor.VisitTypes(TypeNodeList types)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.Reflection.ApiVisitor.VisitNamespace(Namespace space)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ManagedReflectionWriter.VisitNamespace(Namespace space)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.Reflection.ApiVisitor.VisitNamespaces(NamespaceList spaces)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ManagedReflectionWriter.VisitNamespaces(NamespaceList spaces)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.Reflection.ApiVisitor.VisitApis()
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.MRefBuilder.Main(String[] args)
C:\Development\Doc Projects\Sandcastle HFB\Sis\Help\Working\GenerateRefInfo.proj(51,5): error MSB6006: "MRefBuilder.exe" exited with code -532462766.
    Last step completed in 00:00:08.5332

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM

It's failing when the MRefBuilder tool is producing the reflection information.  From the stack dump it looks like there is an invalid character in an attribute value.  Are any of the assemblies obfuscated or do they perhaps contain attribute values with foreign language text?  Can you e-mail me an example assembly that fails so that I can debug it?  I'm working on fixing the bugs in the Sandcastle tools so that would be helpful.  My e-mail address is in the About box in the standalone GUI and in the footer of the pages in the SHFB help file.

Eric

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I tried searching for that character but could not find anything.  The assembly is NOT dotfuscated.  I went ahead and emailed the root assembly.  The only two assemblies with which this happens are the base (the one I sent you) and the one that derives from it.