Merge Topics from other SHFB Projects

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM
Hi Eric,

please extend the Additional Reference Links PlugIn to support the mergin of conceptual content, or other stuff, like namespace summary. It should be possiblie to create many separate projects and link them together. So that a developer could write his own shfb project with conceptual content for his standalone dokumentation and later the project is merged into one big project. The toc should be merged (no duplicate folders oder files). If there are conflicts with the merge, they should be displayed as errors.
Jul 9, 2008 at 7:04 PM
The Additional Reference Links plug-in is solely for the purpose of obtaining additional links to reference content already built in a separate help file.  It isn't really a good place for merging namespace comments, conceptual content, etc.  If it's a Help 2 file, the plug-in can be used to get the links to the other projects.  The TOC would be automatic to a certain extent as each would be viewed in the overall collection based on the Help 2 settings in the project (i.e. namespace, collection TOC style, etc).  A plug-in or tool of some sort could probably be created that altered the help collection files to merge them in a different way such as grouping them under a common root folder but it's not something I've looked into doing.

For conceptual content alone a plug-in could be created to merge just the conceptual content from a project into the current project.  For projects containing both reference and conceptual content, the first option is probably the better one (creating a tool to merge the Help 2 TOCs in some way).

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:29 AM
Why then copy the conceptual content to? Merging the TOCs (including the conceptual content) would be suitable enough.

This would be a nice solution:
  1. Create a Master Project
  2. Add subprojects.
  3. create a TOC for all content
  4. resolve the links from all projects referencing each other
  5. create subprojects
  6. create masterproject.
So it should be possible to have a master project containing the TOC for all Topics, and many many of the subprojects (with .chm)
Or Just have a master toc for html output.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:19 PM
I didn't say it wasn't possible, just that it wasn't a good fit for the existing plug-in.  I don't think it's just a simple matter of merging TOCs.  You have to consider pulling all of the other content into the master project, resolving all the links, handling potential duplicate ID's, etc.  Throwing reference content into the mix would probably introduce other issues.  While developing the other projects you have to provide for the ability to access topic IDs from the other projects to allow creating links, etc.  While possible, it doesn't appear to be a quick and easy task.  I'll consider it for a future release but for now, other changes take precedence.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:25 AM
Edited Jul 11, 2008 at 7:38 AM
How about an option, or new plugin that merges the output together. It is possible to merge chms together, after they are build. The TOC can be merged together.
Further infos can be found in this post from helpware:
Jul 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I'll consider it for a future release.