Exclude specific overload

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM
How can I exclude a specific overload from the documentation?

I have a library which is also COM visible. Some of my methods are overloaded to work on string or integer input. As COM does not support overloads I solved the problem in making my two overloads invisible to COM and introduced a third COM visible overload taking an object (As Any for the COM client). This overload just examines the object parameter and calls the string or integer implementation. .NET clients of my library should never use this method, so I would like them to not appear in my documentation.

I documentet my two overloads. If I now put an exclude tag on the third one, the complete method vanishes from documentation. In the ApiFilter the complete method also appears as one entity.

Is there any way to achieve the desired result?
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Sandcastle's API filter does not take parameters into account so if one overload is removed, they are all removed.  You can use the TOC Exclusion plug-in to remove the unwanted member from the table of content.  Add <tocexclude/> to the member's XML comments and add the plug-in to the project.  It won't appear in the table of content but will appear in the class member list pages.

Eric