How can I customize html produced for autoOutline

Topics: User Forum
Feb 1, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I would like to change the <autoOutine /> tag to add a class attribute to the <ul> tag so that I can apply css styling to it only and not have it affect other unordered lists in the same section.

Right now it produces <ul><li class="outlineSectionEntry"></li><ul> and I would like it to be <ul class="autoOutline">

I also would like to ideally do this in way that future updates to sandcastle or the help file builder would result in losing my modifications?

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Also another related comment. The See Also section of the autoOutline seems to be missing the class="outlineSectionEntry". Is that intentional or a bug? Makes it difficult to apply styling to these elements like making them horizontal and no bullet point.

<ul>
        <li class="outlineSectionEntry"><a href="#Syntax">Syntax</a></li>
        <li class="outlineSectionEntry"><a href="#Parameters">Parameters</a></li>
        <li class="outlineSectionEntry"><a href="#Remarks">Remarks</a></li>
        <li class="outlineSectionEntry"><a href="#CodeExamples">Code Examples</a></li>
        <li class="outlineSectionEntry"><a href="#RequestXMLSoap1.1">Request XML Soap 1.1</a></li>
        <li class="outlineSectionEntry"><a href="#ResponseXMLSoap1.1">Response XML Soap 1.1</a></li>
        <li class="outlineSectionEntry"><a href="#RequestXMLSoap1.2">Request XML Soap 1.2</a></li>
        <li class="outlineSectionEntry"><a href="#ResponseXMLSoap1.2">Response XML Soap 1.2</a></li>
        <li><a href="#seeAlsoSection">See Also</a></li>
    </ul>
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

See my reply to your other post.  You will need to modify the transformations but if it's of general enough use for all, we can add the changes to Sandcastle.  Regarding the "seeAlsoSection" entry, that was an oversight.  I'll see about fixing it.

Eric

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Thanks Eric, could you also add a class attribute to the <ul> for autoutline?

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I can do that.  If you need to make the changes too, update the Presentation\VS2005\main_conceptual.xsl transform in the Sandcastle installation folder.  The "li" item for the seeAlsoSection entry is in the insertAutoOutline template.  The "ul" element is in the same one just a little above it.

Eric