Issues with V1.3.3.1

Topics: User Forum
Dec 12, 2006 at 10:29 AM
I'm just getting to grips with Sandcastle by using the December CTP and the Help File Builder V1.3.3.1. First impressions are as follows:

1. Would be nice if the Foundation.shfb project file used paths relative to the directory containing the project file where possible. This would allow the file to be shared in Source Control by developers working on different machines with different paths.

2. On first attempt to build documentation I had an error trying to reference System.Configuration.dll. I was surprised to see that the .NET 2.0 Framework directory is not referenced automatically for dependencies.

3. Having set up dependency references. I get a failure querying a web service (below). Could be our firewall that's preventing this, but why is there a need to query a web service to build documentation?

Error message:

Info: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: Preparing to query MSDN topic URL web service.
Error: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: An error occured while attempting to query the MSDN topic URL web service. The error message is: The operation has timed out

BUILD FAILED: Unexpected error in last build step. See output above for details.
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2006 at 4:20 PM
Regarding #1, there's a work item open for it. In the meantime, you can edit all paths to make them relative to the project folder.

Regarding #2, due to the way MRefBuilder works internally to support documenting assemblies built against any .NET Framework version, it can't always resolve all assembly references. As such, the dependencies option exists to specify the ones it can't find automatically.

Regarding #3, the time out issue could be a temporary problem. If you are behind a proxy server, see the FAQ in the help file for a workaround. If it is still an issue, set the SdkLinkType property to None as noted in the FAQ to disable the lookups.

Eric