Convert to Word

May 16, 2008 at 10:28 AM

I've been looking around on Google and in the discussions, but can't seem to find anything.

What I wanted to know is that if there's a way to create a Word-document instead of the help file or website (via HelpFileFormat or a plug in for example). Or convert a website or help file to Word beautifully so I can easily edit it afterwards.
May 16, 2008 at 2:46 PM
It's been asked a couple of times before but so far, there doesn't appear to be anything.

May 16, 2008 at 4:06 PM
The MSWord document format is kept closed by Microsoft, so there is very few third-part applications which handle it directly.   RTF is the format created by MS expressly for the purpose of  outside manipulation of (what will become) MSWord files.

So, continue your search, but for RTF tools.  I know there one out there with convert help1 files to RTF files. There are probably HTML to RTF converters  as the formats are conceptually similar.
May 16, 2008 at 11:26 PM

First of all, James, the MSWord binary format was closed, but MS opened it a few months ago. However, starting with Office XP MS Word can work with DOCX files, which are nothing more than XML files.

You can create any DOC files even with notepad. However, I'd recoment developing a small app that can convert whatever you need to a DOCX and then using an Word Automation to convert it to the binary DOC format before shipping it out to whomever you need.

Everytime I someone asks me to create a Word Document I use Word Automation to get the job done. It does save a lot of trouble, but if it needs to be booking fast and need to work on any playform and the server does not or can not have the MS Word installed, I usually create a DOCX base document and start woking may way from there.

Paulo Santos