F1 behavior differs between C# and VB applications in VS 2005

Topics: Developer Forum
May 7, 2008 at 9:50 PM
I have a large help file that I created using SHFB When I use F1 to display a help topic in a VS 2005 C# application, I get an "Information Not Found" topic. This occurs when I highlight the entire Namespace.Class.Method. If I click on Class or Method in the same line, I get the correct topic. In VS 2005 VB applications I can highlight the entire line or click on a portion of it, and I get the correct topic. It also works as expected in both C# and VB apps in VS 2008.

I did not customize the Intellisense Build component.

Has anyone come across this before? Any ideas of what I can check?

May 8, 2008 at 2:10 AM
The IntelliSense component won't have anything to do with the help file. All it does is produce the XML comments files used for IntelliSense. Sandcastle doesn't include any additional MSHelp attributes in Help 2 files such as DocSet that may help with filtering and searching. I don't know for sure if that could contribute to the problem. The next release of SHFB will have better support for Help 2 files including the ability to add the missing attributes and define your own. You might wait and see if you have similar results with it. If you do, and since this is a Sandcastle/help file related issue rather than a SHFB issue, you may get a better response by asking in the MSDN Documentation forum or the Sandcastle forum as they will have a wider audience.

May 8, 2008 at 1:40 PM
Thanks Eric, I appreciate your quick response. I'll check the other forums. Hard to know which forum to turn to.

SHFB has been a terrific tool to use, and as a technical writer, I appreciate your thorough documentation.