Building help on windows server 2003

Topics: User Forum
May 7, 2008 at 10:05 PM
I am using using Sandcastle Help File Builder to build a .chm file. On my Vista computer it takes approximately 10 minutes to compile the help, however when I run the same build on a windows server 2003 computer it is taking over 3.5 hours. The step in the help file build process that is taking so long is the creation of the html files.

Initially I suspected this was due to a problem making the web service calls to the MTPS Content Service, so I enabled the cached MSDN URL references. However, this did not improve the build time and so I wrote a simple test application that made a number of the calls to getContent on the MTPS Content Service and found that they take about the same amount of time on the Vista box as the windows server 2003 box. This would indicate that the issue is probably not a network or DNS problem.

Any ideas why the help file build would take so long would be appreciated.

Thanks
Coordinator
May 8, 2008 at 3:03 AM
Lack of memory can make BuildAssembler run slow but since it's a server I'll assume it's got plenty of memory. I suppose if the server is busy doing other stuff that might also be a factor. Remember too that you have to build at least once after adding the cached components as the cache files won't exist until after the first build. Any benefit won't be seen until the second build. You can set the SdkLinkType property to None to completely eliminate the MSDN web service as the source of the problem. The only other thing I can think of that may cause a slow down is perhaps a virus scanner that is constantly examining the files as they are created.

Eric